Sunday, July 18, 2010

PLAY

I've been reading and watching speeches on how important it is to play. This, of course, is nothing new for most designer...I think we initially choose this profession because we intuitively see that it has something to do with PLAY, something we're not willing to give up.
As it turns out, even a generally playful profession can find you in the middle of a "play dry spell", where it can feel like months, even years since last time you truly felt creative at play.
This is something that should be avoided... creativity is a necessity for society, and play is the source of creativity. The interesting thing about these speeches is that they showed more reasons for play to be necessary, something explainable in more scientific terms than "it just doesn't feel right without it". I'm not gonna get into the details because it gets boring really fast, but basically with a scientific experiment it was shown that animals that were raised with inhibited play were more likely to get stuck in a situation without seeing a way out, and starved to death.
Now, I don't know what you think: that to me sounds like a pretty good reason to play more...
This is something I want to talk about again soon, but now I'm tired.

Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment