Monday, January 10, 2011

Design for the dump?

My inner conflict began even before finishing school, 20 years go.
That's when I realized that almost everybody around me was to some extent an idealist.
By the way: that is a requirement in design schools, at least in Italy, to endure the years of underpaid slavery we have to go through when we enter the job market ("but at least we're saving the world" ... yeah right).
Drinven by my idealism, in 1993 I decided to take a course on "ECO- Design" to understand things better, and I learned about the complexity of the problem at large, complexity that enables the devious behaviors that today we know as "greenwashing"
As you start understanding the logic behind industrial growth though, you soon realize that designers are often burdened with the task of designing...garbage.
You design for the planned obsolescence of a product out there that already exists and is still perfectly functional, by offering a more "current" and exciting alternative.
Tough to be an industrial designer and have a conscience these days.
Although I'm a believer in "revolution from within", after 20 years of mixed luck on that front I wonder how successful designers can be in correcting that behavior, it seems we need strong powerful partners to really change things around.
This clip that I found could be of help in gathering said partners: the more people know about this stuff, the more companies have to adjust their aim.



please circulate as much as possible.

mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment