Sunday, February 5, 2012

Geek Hour

Ok, I confess it: I'm a "weregeek", it's like a werewolf but turns into a geek instead of a wolf.
Every designer is, to some degree, a geek; this isn't something I figured out on my own, I once heard Mark Newson (one of the "coolest" design personas out there) say that he was one, and it got me thinking. You have to be, to become totally immersed in something and discover...
Which is why, even if I doubt this is what Mark Newson had in mind, I'm not too ashamed posting a couple of shots of what I did yesterday evening (Uber-geek)
I find a strange, perverse pleasure in disassembling something beyond my reach in terms of complexity, something that no longer works, and somehow find a way to solve whatever the issue was, reassemble, and enjoy the new life of the object.
In strict financial terms, the time I spent doing this was probably worth more than a 7 year old mac anyway, but there's something very zen in getting lost completely in a task like this, and that's where the real value is.
Plus, I'm keeping it out of a landfill for a little longer. That's also worth a lot.
And I'm now my son's hero.
By the way, it now works as good as new :)

Mahalo

No comments:

Post a Comment